Allow our 1940’s Cape Cod welcome you to the neighborhood through its “open arms.” The Shenandoah River rock and curved staircases create a unique entrance to our calm and pleasant home.
We welcome visitors from all over who are in Luray for a variety of reasons: hiking, biking, running, and touring the local sites. Our shared space community allows you to meet and interact with new people and make new friends.
Come stay with us and explore the area!
We are your full service contact for ALL hostel, slackpack, and logistical needs for hiking the Appalachian Trail, enjoying Shenandoah National Park, floating the Shenandoah River, and cycling and running in Central Virginia.
Our hostel provides lodging for hikers on the Appalachian Trail, bicyclists, and other visitors to Luray.
Rest in our comfortable hostel, take a shower, meet other hikers and outdoor enthusiasts, cook your own food in the kitchen or walk to nearby restaurants.
The hostel is located at 1260 East Main Street – 8 miles West of the Appalachian Trail in Luray, Virginia
Common area with limited, basic cable, DVD’s, board games and books
- Wi-Fi and computer with internet free to guests
- Large front and back porches
- Fire pit in the back yard
- Grocery store and restaurants:.7 mile from the hostel
- 1.5 miles from Appalachian Trail Outfitters and downtown, including the local library and post office
- Storage building and basement areas for bikes
- Parking is available on site
- Mail drops: Free to guests; $2 fee otherwise
Twin Beds – $35 cash/ $36 card/person per night
- We provide all bed linens, pillows and blankets.
- Each room is stocked with bath towels, hand towels, washcloths.
- Basic hygiene products are in the bathroom.
- Morning coffee or tea is available.
Camping – $20 cash/ $21 card/person per night
- We have limited camping sites on the property.
- Fee includes access to showers and kitchen.
- Towels are provided.
Showers included w/ stay or $3 a la carte
- Showers are included with overnight stays.
- We also offer showers for people just passing through.
- Showers are $3.00/person and include towel and soap.
There is a “community” computer available with internet access so you can check/send email or take care of any other business before hitting the trail. Wireless internet is also available.
While there is no time limit for computer usage, please be considerate of other guests who also want to use this service.
Luray is a train town. We can’t get away from them. The hostel is across the street from train tracks. Cargo trains do run at all hours and most night conductors are courteous of sleepers. However, there is a cross over about 300 yards from the hostel. Since safety is of utmost importance, the whistle blows in front of the hostel when trains are traveling out of town.
- We have a full kitchen for guests to use.
- It is stocked with dishes, glasses, silverware, and cookware.
- All we ask is that you completely clean up after yourself for the next person.
- There is also a refrigerator where you can keep that leftover pizza, or if you’re staying for a few days, stock up on groceries.
Laundry – $5 a la cart
- We provide laundry services for guests. Laundry (wash/dry/detergent) is $5 per load.
- Shared loads are permissible.
Well-mannered, house-broken and “relatively” clean dogs are allowed in the main hostel building. Dogs may be bathed in The Cave shower… dog shampoo is provided.
- Please keep your dog under control at all times.
- Dogs may not be left at the hostel unsupervised.
- The dog-owner is solely responsible for the actions of his/her dog.
- If any damage is done to the hostel or other hikers’ gear, compensation will be expected.
- We are owned by 2 cats that are tolerant of well-mannered dogs, so please keep that in mind.
Real beds . . . with real sheets!
ABOUT THE OWNER
Owner & Innkeeper
Alison is a former teacher who left the profession in order to pursue the dream of running a hostel. The dream was 3 years in the making. Ask her to tell you the story! She is a true believer of Law of Attraction and Deliberate Creation.
Our feline home bodies are Molly, the ‘fluff nugget,’ and Luna, the “chonky” cat… she never misses a meal!
The canine members of the family are Blaze, the pure-bred mutt, and Fifi, a rescue from Puerto Rico. They are exceptionally friendly and full of energy. You can get your pet fixes at Open Arms!